CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] close loop and stalling

on 2003-05-23 19:20:11 UTC
George,

Well from what I have heard from others this is a problem. If the cause of
missed steps is trying to run them too fast or too fast of an acceleration,
having encoder feedback will not help much as EMC will start spitting out
steps at an even faster rate, which will just compound the problem. Keep in
mind that I have not tried encoder feedback with steppers so I don't really
have any first hand knowledge. Has anyone on the list ever got EMC to run
with encoder feedback and the Kulaga/Mauch card or Jon Elsons PPMC setup.

I think trying to fix a missed step problem with encoder feedback is not the
route to take. A properly set up stepper system should not miss steps to
begin with.

Bill

----- Original Message -----
From: "george_barr" <george_barr@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, May 23, 2003 7:28 PM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] close loop and stalling

> I have a question regarding "close loop" systems using stepper motors
> with encoders. The software is EMC. What happens when the motors
> accelerate to fast and stalls using the above setup? Does it stop
> all the motors when it stalls? Or, does it try to correct the motors
> until it arrives at the determined position? I read somewhere that
> with a close loop system you can run the motors as fast as you can
> and let the encoders compensate for slow motors and it will do the
> routing correctly. Can someone explain some of these things?
>
> Thanks,

Discussion Thread

george_barr 2003-05-23 16:28:46 UTC close loop and stalling Tim Goldstein 2003-05-23 17:12:08 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] close loop and stalling William Scalione 2003-05-23 19:20:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] close loop and stalling Jon Elson 2003-05-23 20:45:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] close loop and stalling Dan Mauch 2003-05-24 06:25:21 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] close loop and stalling kdoney_63021 2003-05-24 08:41:57 UTC Re: close loop and stalling