CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: getting started with CNCs

Posted by pcfw
on 2003-05-25 11:27:56 UTC
Hi Johnny,

Welcome to the group. I have learned quite a lot from the list, and I
am sure you will too. Rather than telling you what to do, perhaps
I'll just tell you what I am using. I have the Camtronics 2A half-
stepping board driving Sherline mill with 2A motors. I have also
quite a no. of Geckos 201 too. If I am to go throught it all over
again, I'll probably go for the Xylotex board. You may want to solder
up your own?

Regarding software, I have DeskWinNC as well as Flashcutcnc, plus
others DOS based drivers like TurboCNC. TurboCNC gives very good
value for money, but if you must have the convenience of Windows the
above 2 software are nice. I love Flashcutcnc for its very user-
friendly GUI, thought for hobbyist (not for commercial people) it may
be pricey. Even if you don't buy their software, you can use
Flashcutcnc to generate 2D or 2.5D gcodes. I find it very nice to
simulate/verify gcode programs which you can do even if you don't buy
anything from them.

There is a list newly formed to discuss about that at

Best regards

Peter

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "johnny_flamengo"
<johnny_flamengo@p...> wrote:
> I am new to CNCs and new to this group, and I want to know where's
the best
> place to start with CNCs.
> I have a fair amount of knowledge in electronics, as I used to
program
> microcontrollers.
>
> What is the easiest software to begin with?
> How can we convert .DXF files to G-codes and then send it to the PC
parallel
> port?
> Do CAM softwares include all of that in one package?
>
> Please, I need all the help I can get.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Discussion Thread

johnny_flamengo 2003-05-25 08:41:43 UTC getting started with CNCs pcfw 2003-05-25 11:27:56 UTC Re: getting started with CNCs JanRwl@A... 2003-05-25 13:33:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] getting started with CNCs Jim Wilson 2003-05-25 16:46:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] getting started with CNCs JanRwl@A... 2003-05-25 17:15:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] getting started with CNCs Harvey White 2003-05-25 19:28:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] getting started with CNCs alex 2003-05-26 11:11:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] getting started with CNCs