CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Cam newbie needs help on Cad/Cam selection....

Posted by dspinnett
on 2003-06-08 12:42:23 UTC
Thanks for the Info John.
Maybe 2.5d is enough..
As I briefly mentioned before, I want to make car/engine parts (the
engine parts are mostly miniature)- that would be profiling a billet
to make a block (instead of casting it).

If my 2d cad will work for that, I guess I just need decent 2.5d
Cam.. (I like the cad I have already).

The only other thing I might get stuck on is an airplane (full size)
I'm building. I need to 'build' it in cad to make sure I get all the
dimensions right before I cut the wood (stick) for the frame. The
fuselage is a box section, but it curves in 2 directions. Won't I
need 3d cad for that?

Thanks,

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "stevenson_engineers"
<dspinnett@y...>
> >wrote:
> > Hi all...
> >
> > I've built a CNC mill (with ballscrews) and have been
> > using 'Master5' and 'Mach1' for the NC part. I've just made
simple
> > stuff, exporting my 2d cad files to dxf and then straight into
> > master 5 and mach 1. I want to go to the next step, which I
> > understand to mean 3d cad/cam.
> >
> > I mostly want to make car/engine parts, and have 4 axis, and
would
> > like though not require lathe functions too.
> >
> > What have you all had luck with? I'm looking at Vector and
looked
> >at
> > Bobcad (bobcad folks too pushy 0n the spam sales though)..
> >
> > Any advice?
> >
> > TIA.
>
> First off identity what you need to do initally. Many people make
the
> mistake of going to 3D cam without actually understanding what 3D
is.
> 90 percent of parts made on CNC machines are 2 1/2D that means
they
> are flat shapes with depth, often built up from different profiles.
> 3D is something like an aeroplane wing where the shape changes as
> series of curves.
>
> The difference is in the learning curve, because a 3D program has
> handle complex shapes it's obviously harder to learn. Although 3D
> programs can also do 2 1/2D by default it's the same set of
> instructions which can be complex.
>
> A 2 1/2D program on the other hand is far simpler to learn and
use,
> some have elements of 3D in them but only the simpler shapes like
> bottle etc.
> It can often pay in time and money to start off with 2 1/2D and if
> you need 3D upgrade later when you are happier with programming.
Many

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevenson.engineers/lsteve/files/rexel%
> 20block.jpg
>
> This large 16" by 6" deep cutter block for a pencil sharpener
> although looking complex and having 4th axis work on it was all
done
> from a flat 2D drawing, in fact it was a dxf file. There is no 3D
> work in this at all.
> This was programmed using Dolphin from http://www.dolphin.gb.com/
>
> John S.

Discussion Thread

dspinnett 2003-06-08 07:20:21 UTC Cam newbie needs help on Cad/Cam selection.... Robert Campbell 2003-06-08 07:46:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Cam newbie needs help on Cad/Cam selection.... wayne_j_hill 2003-06-08 08:27:17 UTC Re: Cam newbie needs help on Cad/Cam selection.... stevenson_engineers 2003-06-08 11:26:48 UTC Re: Cam newbie needs help on Cad/Cam selection.... dspinnett 2003-06-08 12:42:23 UTC Re: Cam newbie needs help on Cad/Cam selection....