CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Setting up Gecko 210 - Step settings?

Posted by forumtvm
on 2003-06-11 09:10:04 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "J.T. Travis" <1911_fan@b...>
wrote:
> Hi,
> I need some help about the settings for a Gecko 210 (in regard to
> the stepping settings).
>
> I'm using them to drive Vectra stepper motors on a Sherline mill.
> The motors are 2 Amp, 0.9 deg/step.
>
> Should I set the Geckos to single step, half step, 5 or 10
> micro-step on the jumper blocks?
>
> I am assuming that the half step and micro step are slower since
> there are more impulses per motor step, or can this be offset in
the
> software? With the motor doing 0.9 deg/ step is there any
practical
> advantage to using half or micro-steps?

microstep slower than Half step slower which is slower than full step.
Micorstepping smoother. I think you have to provide information on
what pulse rate your controller is capable of generating and what
rapid/feedrate you are aiming at.

> Also, I've set them up to use a +5V common (the breakout board is
> set likewise). I haven't really found any info explaining the
> advantages vs. disadvantages of using a +5V vs using the ground as
> the common. My breakout board can be set to either setting as
well.
> Any thoughts on this?

I believe PC is better at sinking than at sourcing. +5V is less
susceptible to noise, etc. is preferable.

Peter

Discussion Thread

J.T. Travis 2003-06-11 08:03:30 UTC Setting up Gecko 210 - Step settings? forumtvm 2003-06-11 09:10:04 UTC Re: Setting up Gecko 210 - Step settings? Tim Goldstein 2003-06-11 09:32:09 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Setting up Gecko 210 - Step settings? Alan Marconett KM6VV 2003-06-11 17:43:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Setting up Gecko 210 - Step settings?