CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Fanuc 6M overtravel won't clear.

Posted by craig s
on 2003-07-07 08:56:50 UTC
Thanks! This goes pretty much with my line of thinking. I will let
you know how it goes.

Craig.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "turbulatordude"
<davemucha@j...> wrote:
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stevens
> <craig.stevens@s...> wrote:
> > Folks--
> >
> > What follows is a question regarding a limit switch problem on a
> Fanuc
> > 6M.
> >
> > Background:
> > I have worked on many different types of film processing equipment
> in my
> > job at a major Connecticut newspaper. Several years ago I added CNC
> > controls to a ShopTask mill/drill that uses Dan Mauch stepper
> drives,
> > and EMC.
> >
> > Question:
> > My father recently purchased a Shizouka mill with Fanuc
> > 6M control. He is chasing a problem with the -X, and -Y overtravel
> > switches/electronics. He has been unable to get the machine to
> clear
> > the overtravel errors. The switches are OK as tested with a
> > multimeter. He checked the + side of X, and Y to ground with a
> > multimeter, and there is 24VDC at the switches, there is no voltage
> on
> > the - side of X and Y. He has gone through all the fuses, and all
> are
> > verified good with a resistance check. He has also verified wiring
> > continuity is OK. Apparently the machine has a board in it with two
> > rows of relays. There are two empty sockets on the board. He has
> moved
> > relays into the empty sockets to prove if the missing relays are
> related
> > to the problem, but the initial symptoms have not changed. Is there
> > anyone on the list with experience with Fanuc controls that have
> seen
> > similar symptoms? Is there something common to the + axis on X,
> and Y
> > that he should be checking? I am thinking maybe an E-stop, or
> interlock
> > board...
> >
> > I have been trying to help him over the phone, but have not had a
> whole
> > lot of success because I have only seen the control in photos, and
> my
> > only CNC experience is with the old DeskNC, and EMC...
> >
> > You can look at my setup at: http://www.stevesys.no-ip.org/ There
> is a
> > photo of my setup on my Talon page, and a couple more on the spur
> and
> > christmas ornaments pages.
> >
> > I am grateful in advance for any assistance anyone can provide.
> >
> > --
> > Craig Stevens <craig.stevens@s...>
>

> I think that the relay for end travel would be held closed and fail
> open. if the relay was bad, or the circuit to the relay was bad, it
> would not work properly.
>
> Since you said it was on both the -X and -Y I assume you mean that
> the +X and +Y are working ? use those as the check against the
> opposite circuit.

> [...]

Discussion Thread

Craig Stevens 2003-07-07 06:44:20 UTC Fanuc 6M overtravel won't clear. turbulatordude 2003-07-07 07:21:24 UTC Re: Fanuc 6M overtravel won't clear. craig s 2003-07-07 08:56:50 UTC Re: Fanuc 6M overtravel won't clear.