CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Mounting Limit switches to a BP clone (knee mill)

Posted by Mark Thompson
on 2003-07-09 15:54:08 UTC
Hi Peter

One issue with the tiawan mills is the castings are little
lower than US standards.

I found a layer of Glass/casting sand under the surface bondo and paint.

This layer is not very good for you drill bits. I would use a "Cheep" drill
to get through the outerlayers then switch to a good sharp tap drill.

Good Luck
Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter R [mailto:prenolds@...]
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 8:43 AM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Mounting Limit switches to a BP clone
(knee mill)

Hi gang,

Has anyone drilled and tapped a hole into the table of a knee mill? I'm
not sure if just the sliding surfaces are hardened or all over? By
delicate scratching, it doesn't appear to be hardened.

I've previously used unsealed microswitches (mounted to the cast iron)
for my limit switches and while they have lasted well in most locations,
one of the switch positions always catches drips of way oil and over
time seems to go intermittant in its closure point - causing problems
with zeroing the X axis. I've just ordered some sealed limit switches
from Digikey but they are smaller and have a roller rather than the long
lever of my existing switches. The best and cleanest mounting location
will require me to drill a small hole in the side of the table just
obove the sliding surface to mount an actuator arm. This new location
will also give me an additional 3" of table travel in the X direction -
which never goes astray! Has anyone drilled into the table? Having
just broken a tap in stainless steel - I will figure another way if all
the surfaces are hardened.

Thanks & Cheers, Peter

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

timg@...
Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... [Moderators]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it if you
have trouble.

site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are there, for OT subjects,
that are not allowed on the CCED list.

NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING THEM. DON'T
POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
bill
List Mom
List Owner