CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Mitutoyo Digital Strips

Posted by Mark Fraser
on 2000-03-16 06:40:07 UTC
There is capacitive coupling between the parallelograms and
the opposite surface.
In the calipers (including those from China with a variety of
names on them), the technology is the same. Several years
back, a magazine called "Circuit Cellar INK" had an article
on interfacing to the digital output on an older model of
Mitu. caliper, and a robotics magazine (which I've not seen)
carried an article on how to build your own long spars that
could use the standard caliper heads. Using copper clad
pc board.

I haven't looked at the Mitu. DRO strips, but the Chinese
calipers use right (90 deg) parallelograms aligned
orthogonally with the axis of motion of the slide. Skewed
alignment might permit two or more sensors in the head to
increase resolution.

I suppose one could use Teflon or other zero coeff. of thermal
expansion as the substrate for the PCB spar. I was imagining
my (treasured but as yet unused) linear motor which has
12K steps per inch, as an engine to advance a cutter along the
spar being made.....

/mark

Message: 19