CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 3 axis 9x49 retrofit recomendations.

on 2003-07-11 23:41:30 UTC
Hi dan;

Your first issue is the "crappy leadscrews", if your really want to go
CNC these should be changed to ball screws. That would be my first
investment.

I have mixed feelings about linear scales on a CNC system, you should be
able to get better resolution with rotary encoders on your leadscrews or
motors. On top of that there are a whole host of issues related to
aligning and maintaining linear scales.

It is a given that the ball screws are not economical, but if your at
all serious about CNC I would think that they would be a requirement.
The motors and drives are much more difficult to make suggestions on as
there are numerous possibilities.

Dave