CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: mini mill spindle vs trim router

Posted by Andrew Werby
on 2003-07-19 15:29:02 UTC
Message: 18
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 00:11:49 -0000
From: "turbulatordude" <davemucha@...>
Subject: Re: mini mill spindle vs trim router

The difference that jumps out at me is the collet.

a router has one, two or possibly 3 collets in 1/8, 1/4 and 3/8
(5/16") whereas the mini-mill head has a standard collet so you can
use pretty much any tool you want.

[A collet will hold just one size tool. Are you referring to a Jacobs chuck?
It's possible to get adapter bushings for tools, so you can use odd-sized
bits in a router. See
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/adapbush.html
for examples.]

an idea is to use a spindle head ala the maxCNC or Sherline ?

then use the router to spin that. higher hp, and belt drive
reduction. and any collet size range you choose.

[That's not a good idea. The MaxNC/Taig spindle is rated for 10k rpm
maximum. I don't think the Sherline spindle goes much faster. Spinning it at
twice that speed or more is not recommended, nor is putting odd pulleys,
etc. on the business end of a router. They're dangerous enough when used as
directed...]

Being a metals guy myself, I would preferr the mini-mill head from
LMS.

Planning on a wood only unit, that will have a router.

Dave

[2500 rpm is okay for steel, especially if you use fairly large tools. But
if you're using small-diameter endmills and cutting softer materials, it
just won't cut it...]

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com

Discussion Thread

virgilwatson 2003-07-18 14:19:53 UTC mini mill spindle vs trim router Harvey White 2003-07-18 16:01:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] mini mill spindle vs trim router turbulatordude 2003-07-18 17:11:53 UTC Re: mini mill spindle vs trim router Andrew Werby 2003-07-19 15:29:02 UTC Re: mini mill spindle vs trim router