CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Power Supply for Servo System (Hot Supply using Variac)

on 2003-07-29 20:07:02 UTC
Bad bad bad Idea. The transformer is the only thing isolating you
from wall current. Radios in the 1920's were made the same way with a
bridge and resitive wire - when enough people died using them they
stopped production. Please don't build the "Shockmaster 2003" power
supply.

Doug

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "autom8_it" <engineer@s...>
wrote:
> I want to run my servos using 130VDC MAX and my plan was to build
the
> supply using toriodal transformers, bridge and big cap. This will
> work but a friend of my came up with something today that I can't
> think of a reason not to do but seems too simple to jump into.
>
> Remove the transformer and put the input to the bridge right to
> 120VAC line. First this would give too high of a voltage(approx
> 168VDC) so then he said use a variac(adjust 120VAC from 0 to
> 140VAC). I do have four 10Amp Variacs available but was wondering
if
> there is any thing I am overlooking in doing the supply this way.
>
> The only thing I thought of was no isolation but what is that
buying
> me?
>
> Should I buy the toroidal transformer or will this work just as
well?

> Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Discussion Thread

autom8_it 2003-07-29 18:58:41 UTC Power Supply for Servo System (Hot Supply using Variac) wanliker@a... 2003-07-29 19:07:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Power Supply for Servo System (Hot Supply using Variac) dougfennell2000 2003-07-29 20:07:02 UTC Re: Power Supply for Servo System (Hot Supply using Variac) caudlet 2003-07-29 21:51:30 UTC Re: Power Supply for Servo System (Hot Supply using Variac) Jon Elson 2003-07-29 22:44:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Power Supply for Servo System (Hot Supply using Variac)