CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linux EMC and MasterCam?

briantej wrote:

>I'm retrofitting a machine for home use as a mill/router. I have
>found
>a suitable CNC controller that uses step and direction to run the
>servo motors. I want to use Mastercam V9 and have found a post for
>the
>Mach2 software that basically completes my system. However, I would
>like to investigate the use of EMC because of its RTOP and also to
>avoid the use of an expensive PENTIUM with windows XP.

You also need to use a Pentium computer for EMC. It is theoretically
possible to run EMC on a 486 system, but it takes significant modifications,
due to the 486 and below using a different memory model (mostly smaller
page size). If you are using software generated step pulses, you need
a 333 MHz Pentium, as about the minimum. Of course, people are throwing
out machines of that class, now.

briantej 2003-08-01 10:29:53 UTC Linux EMC and MasterCam? Jon Elson 2003-08-01 21:39:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linux EMC and MasterCam?