CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Serial communications CNC

Tim wrote:

>I am in the process of retrofiting
>a Bridgeport Series2 with Galil controls
>for the company I work for. 4 axis and VFD
>spindle speed control. No Problems yet.
>

>Can a parallel port controlled system have true encoder feedback
>to the computer?

Yes, in a special way. You need to have some way of getting the encoder
signals back to the computer, but the computer can't really be trusted to
not miss counts when it is just periodically sampling the encoder inputs.
Also, you run out of pins. I have a product that does this by turning the
parallel port into a communications channel with some dedicated
hardware. See http://jelinux.pico-systems.com/PPMC.html
for more info.

What will you be using for servo amps?

Jon Elson 2003-08-04 22:55:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Serial communications CNC