CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] VFD for EDM

w4zmb77 wrote:

>Hi,
>Was wondering if anyone knows if an edm can be run successfully on a
>VFD.

Absolutely not. No WAY! VFDs are designed to run motors, period.
They even say you can't run a motor through a transformer. They depend
on the fact that motors have a lot of air gap and leakage inductance.

VFDs do not produce a sine wave. They produce variable pulse width
400 V pulses at something like 15 - 25 KHz rate.

>Okay,if it is possible,the catch is,I have a Charmilles D-10 that
>the name tag says 18 amps 220v 3 phase.
>
>The vfd I have max outputs at 12 amp 220v 3 phase.The question is,do
>you think this would work out as long as I stay away from the high
>amp burns?
>
>I plan on using the edm max cutting amps at no more than 1
>amp,probably more like 1/2 amp for the job I bought it for.The total
>power draw for the pumps is no more than 6 amps or so.

I would strongly advise against trying it. The chance that the VFD will
be destroyed is close to 100%. The EDM may also be damaged.
I hate rotary converters, but in this case, I think that is your only
choice.

w4zmb77 2003-08-05 07:13:44 UTC VFD for EDM turbulatordude 2003-08-05 10:32:43 UTC Re: VFD for EDM Jon Elson 2003-08-05 10:51:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] VFD for EDM turbulatordude 2003-08-05 14:11:11 UTC Re: VFD for EDM