CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: DIY DRO Kit Update

Posted by sshumate
on 2003-08-05 14:02:43 UTC
Vince,

The PIC image will be freely available without any security
measures. I designed the DRO to be easily upgradable over a PC
serial port so that people can program their own DROs when updates
and bug fixes become available. I would like to implement any ideas
people might have for new features since there is still a lot of code
space available in the PIC. You are free to browse the PIC
assembler. :)

There are several problems I see with going open source:

1. The source is mostly in C and there are no good C compilers for
the PIC that are free. The best affordable compiler for the PIC IMHO
is the CCS compiler and it is $125. This would probably a huge
barrier for most people to contribute.

2. C for the PIC is really pseudo-C not ANSI C since the PIC's
architecture is not very C friendly. It can be difficult for someone
without experience to follow the code.

3. Open source projects require a lot of time to manage and
coordinate.

I will say that if I decide to stop developing the DRO, I will
release the C code under GPL or a similar open source license.
That's not to say I won't decide to release it next month, I'm just
not willing to make a commitment right now.

Scott

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Vince Negrete"
<vnegrete@r...> wrote:
> Scott, (reply below)
>
> > Moderators note:
> > Questions about the product are welcome on the list. Any
communication
> > dealing with a desire to buy these units are not welcome on the
list.
> > Please reply directly to the author at sshumate@y... ( Here we go
> > in code to see if we can get past the Yahoo interface. Just
change the
> > spelled out portion in capitals to the standard internet
charachters and
> > you can then e-mail the author. sshumate AT yahoo DOT com ) if
you are
> > interested in getting this item.
> >

> > I have sent out an e-mail to update everyone who expressed
interest in
> > my 3 axis DRO kit. If you do not receive an e-mail, then send an
> > e-mail to the above address so I can save your address in the
> > mailing list.
>
> Excellent and very well organized Email sent to me. Thank You.
> Would you consider distributing in Solderable Kit forms to save $$$
on
> your assembly costs.?? (for us nerds that love the smell of Flux)
>
> On-topic stuff:
> I really wish I could convince you to release The PIC source code
for the
> DRO. There are many here that would fight to the death to protect
your
> Copyrights and in an Open-Source community only makes the Whole
Group
> Stronger. Of course its your choice though. I'm assuming that a
> Processor Chip will come with the Bare Boards? Did I miss that in
your
> email? :)
>
> Also, will you have the Security Bit flipped? ha! <just kiddin>
>
> Vince

Discussion Thread

sshumate 2003-08-05 00:22:58 UTC DIY DRO Kit Update Vince Negrete 2003-08-05 03:12:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] DIY DRO Kit Update sshumate 2003-08-05 14:02:43 UTC Re: DIY DRO Kit Update Dan Mauch 2003-08-05 15:35:50 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: DIY DRO Kit Update Vince Negrete 2003-08-05 16:46:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: DIY DRO Kit Update sshumate 2003-08-05 19:44:54 UTC Re: DIY DRO Kit Update kooloosj 2003-08-08 22:00:01 UTC Re: DIY DRO Kit Update