CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Quadrature for DIY DRO

Posted by likemike64
on 2003-08-06 19:41:32 UTC
Scott,

I do not know the answers to all of your questions, but I have a
couple of the US Digital encoders I will loan you to use for
developement on this project. Contact me by email (mazhess at
hotmail.com (of cource use "@" in place of " at ") to work out the
details on shipping.

Mike

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "sshumate" <sshumate@y...>
wrote:
> REMINDER: Please keep all purchase-related inquiries off of the
group
> list and direct them only to me at my private e-mail. Thanks.
>
> I have looked into US Digital quadrature encoders to see if it is
> possible to support them in the DRO and I wanted to get some
feedback
> from people who have used them.
>
> The output of the encoders is 5V common collector with a weak
> pullup. This is good because the DRO circuit already has strong
> pullups on the scale inputs. First question, do other brands of
> quadrature encoders use a different voltage level or different
output
> drivers?
>
> For the 5V output signal the US Digital encoders use, the existing
> PCB could be easily reworked to accept this. It would consist of
> depopulating (or not populating to begin with) the buffer chips
which
> are three 8-pin DIPs. The wires from the connector would then be
> soldered on a couple of the through holes of these DIPS. Second
> question, is there a standard style of connector for these
encoders?
> Would the existing 4 pin mini-DIN work?
>
> I don't think I would be able to support simultaneous reading of
both
> Chinese scales and quadrature encoders. The PIC is very busy while
> triple sampling the Chinese scale serial stream and there is a good
> probability that a quadrature pulse could be missed. Third
question,
> would it be sufficient just to have a setup screen that switched
all
> inputs between Chinese and quadrature mode?
>
> Some of the quadrature encoders have an index pulse. I don't think
> this could be supported in the current design since there are no
free
> pins left on the PIC. Fourth question, is it OK not support this
and
> operate the encoders only in absolute mode?
>
> Lastly, I don't have any quadrature encoders in my home machine
shop
> and I do not really have a need. Would anyone be willing to loan a
> couple to me to develop this feature?
>
> Cheers,
> Scott

Discussion Thread

sshumate 2003-08-06 09:08:57 UTC Quadrature for DIY DRO Dan Mauch 2003-08-06 12:05:04 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quadrature for DIY DRO C.S. Mo 2003-08-06 12:50:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quadrature for DIY DRO John A. McFadden 2003-08-06 15:51:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quadrature for DIY DRO likemike64 2003-08-06 19:41:32 UTC Re: Quadrature for DIY DRO kooloosj 2003-08-09 21:55:59 UTC Re: Quadrature for DIY DRO