CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: motor cables connection in Digest Number 3280

Posted by Don Rogers
on 2003-08-09 10:47:55 UTC
At 01:16 PM 8/8/03 +0000, you wrote:
>The Pacific Scientific installation bulletin shows 22 awg wire on
>Nema 23 motors. Where do they recommend 16 awg? Or are you using
>larger motors?

The Power Max instillation bulletin shows a "typical" #22 AWG. However,
the Pacific Scientific 6410 Drive installation and hardware reference
manual states that while the plug for the motor will accept from #28 AWG to
#16 AWG, use #16awg for the motor windings.

My motors are going to be wired in parallel, and will draw around 6 amps at
70v. Looking back,I could have used a smaller gage eight conductor wire,
and made the parallel wiring at the driver end. It might have been less
expensive than using the #16 four wire cable.

There is a lot of talk on motors, and controllers, but very little on
cables. I am finding that getting a clean cable setup with plugs at both
ends is going to cost me at least 150% of what I paid for three new M22
motors. Kind of like a sailboat. The boat isn't expensive, but the
rigging sure is.

Don

Discussion Thread

Don Rogers 2003-08-09 10:47:55 UTC Re: motor cables connection in Digest Number 3280