CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How to test a servo motor without servo drive?

autom8_it wrote:

>I am doing a retrofit and I recieved my servo motors but I am still
>waiting for drives from Rutex. I would like to test the motors now
>and I am wondering if there is an easy way to do that without risk of
>damaging the motor?

These are DC brush motors? You can test them for basic function with
a D cell battery. You don't want to apply a sizable DC voltage from a
power supply with a lot of current capacity as that could cause a burst
of current strong enough to erase the magnets.

>My guess is that a constant DC level will work but I would imagine
>that I would have to limit the current. It seems too simple to use
>ohms law and put in a series resistor?

If you want to run it at some speed with a big unregulated DC supply, then
a series resistor is a must. For instance, with a 70 V supply, and a peak
current rating on the motor of 10 Amps, then a 7 Ohm resistor is perfectly
safe. One problem is, even WITH the series resistor, the motor would
LEAP off the table unless it was securely fastened down.

autom8_it 2003-08-09 00:17:33 UTC How to test a servo motor without servo drive? mmurray701 2003-08-09 05:37:31 UTC Re: How to test a servo motor without servo drive? Jon Elson 2003-08-09 23:34:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How to test a servo motor without servo drive? Bill Kichman 2003-08-10 06:55:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How to test a servo motor without servo drive? Markwayne 2003-08-10 10:55:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How to test a servo motor without servo drive? Bill Kichman 2003-08-10 19:23:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How to test a servo motor without servo drive? Jon Elson 2003-08-10 23:18:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How to test a servo motor without servo drive?