CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: high speed spindle (was no subject)

Posted by washcomp
on 2003-08-15 14:11:08 UTC
Good advice. I've been looking at the Dewalt DW679 and the
equivalent Porter Cable trim routers for this use. Anyone have any
suggestions for brand? Since all that I've seen have 1/4" collets,
anyone know if 1/8" collets that that are sold with these company's
RotoZip exuivalents would be likely to fit their trim routers?

Thanks for your help,
Jeff

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "turbulatordude"
<davemucha@j...> wrote:
> Considder the trim router for a few reasons.
>
> #1) your mount will not change if replacements are needed. model
> changes occur on cosmeticly designed units.
>
> #2) some makes have metal bodies so mounting is secure and accurate.
>
> #3) some manufacturers offer multiple sizes of collets.
>
> #4) compact size and high power.
>
> #5) the noise will keep cats and mice out of your shop.
>
> #6) highest power
>
> also, there is a lot of tooling with 1/4 or 1/8 shank so a higher
> quality tool will have a high quality collet.
>
> the die griinders offer a much longer housing so if you are doing
> modeling in 4 or 5 axis, you can reach much farther. don't pretend
> like long tools will work, a microscopic wobble at 3,000 rpm is a
> tool whipping action at 30,0000 rpm.
>

> Trim Router: 30K rpm-
> 1/4" collet
> 5.6Amp
>
> Rotary Saw:30K rpm-
> 1/8 & 1/4 collet
> 5 amp
>
> 1-1/2" Die Grinder:25K rpm-
> 1/8 & 1/4 collet
> 3 amp
>
> 2" Die Grinder:19K rpm-
> 1/8 & 1/4 collet
> 5 amp
>
> Dave
>
> =========
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "washcomp" <jeff@w...>
wrote:

> > A bridgepport is a great mill, but lacks the high speed required
> for
> > miniature CNC work and engraving. I'm thinking of attaching a
high
> > speed spindle to my Bridgeport spindle with an Erickson 30
holder.
> > It would hang on a bracket similar to what Jon Elson shows on his
> web
> > site, but under the spindle.
> >
> > http://www.pico-systems.com/wwspndl.html
> >
> > Any preference for which electric tool is better for this
> application
> > (die grinders, trim routers and cut-out tools)?
> >
> > So you don't have to look them up (using Dewalt as an example):
> >
> > Tool type Speed HP or watts (if
> > listed) Current Collet weight
> >
> > Trim Router: 30K rpm 7/8HP
5.6
> > AMP 1/4" collet 4.75 pounds
> > Rotary Saw: 30K rpm ?
> > 5.0 AMP 1/8 & 1/4 collet 3.2 pounds
> > 1-1/2" Die Grinder: 25K rpm 350W 3.0
> > AMP 1/8 & 1/4 collet 3.25 pounds
> > 2" Die Grinder: 19K rpm 485W
> 5.0
> > AMP 1/8 & 1/4 collet 6.0 pounds
> >
> > Even though I may have to create an 1/8" collet, I'm thinking the
> > trim router gives the most bang for the buck, but I'm interested
in
> > your take on it.
> >
> > Thanks again and regards,
> > Jeff

Discussion Thread

washcomp 2003-08-15 04:47:31 UTC turbulatordude 2003-08-15 09:26:52 UTC high speed spindle (was no subject) washcomp 2003-08-15 14:11:08 UTC Re: high speed spindle (was no subject) Steven Ciciora 2003-08-15 14:23:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: high speed spindle (was no subject)