CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Shoptask conversion

Posted by tomp_tag
on 2003-08-23 17:00:38 UTC
Larry,
before you make it cnc, make it as good as it can be mechanicly, 1st.
My shoptask had loads of slop in it, and cnc will not produce good results
with a bad machine tool.
Especially the Z is a prob on Shoptask. The quill (spindle) must move up &
down freely, There's slop between the pinion and the rack on the spindle
(you
can feel this slop by resisting motion on the spindle [power off] while
turning
the drilling arms cw&ccw.. the motion of arms without motion of spindle is
slop). The Z is more complex tho.. the rack is driven by a pinion, the
pinion
by a castellated dog clutch, the shaft to the pinion by a worm and crown,
the
worm by a jack shaft, the jack shaft by a belt, the belt by your motor. This
is IF
you use the supplied ShopTask drive mounts and pulleys.
I'm in midst of tightening up & simplifying all this still.
The X&Y arent too bad, adjust the gibs, and strecth the screw a bit by
snugging up the handle lock nuts, and they begin repeating to cabinetry
accuracies,
but not to die making/moldmaking accuracies.
So, adjust up the machine &lower your expectations ;-) (it's fine for garage
work, really).
tomp
(btw scanned for all viruses & no activex allowed & applied symantec's fix,
all
which said i aint got it! this whole group's id's have been stolen and
passed all around the
world, as in Univ Helsinki complaining about mail i sent them ... really? I
no speaky Swedish!)