CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Best hand mill for CNC conversion

Michael McBroom wrote:

>I just finished scanning the archives and read with interest a recent
>thread on this very subject.
>>From a conversion standpoint, I would like to read from anyone who has
>experience with either or both, and what sort of performance they have
>been able to obtain. Your input will really help me in finalizing my
>decision, which I need to do this week.

I would suggest you look at the machines with either a knee (larger size)
or the ones with a dovetail or box column for head elevation (benchtop
size). The ones with round columns lose the X-Y positioning when you
have to change head height.

If you want to do precision work, then a set of ballscrews is almost a
necessity. You can get conversion kits from a variety of sources, or
watch eBay for a bargain.

On the larger machines, servo motors generally offer better performance
than steppers, and may come out cheaper, too.

Michael McBroom 2003-08-24 19:50:13 UTC Best hand mill for CNC conversion Jon Elson 2003-08-24 22:05:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Best hand mill for CNC conversion