CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: low cost linear encoders

Posted by Jeff DelPapa
on 2000-03-20 07:41:40 UTC
An article in "Projects in Metal" described a home brewed DRO, based
on making new PC boards for a capacitive caliper mechanisim. I don't
know which issue, they reprinted it in one of the "Metalworking"
article collections. (either 1 or 3, don't know which, its not handy)

There is an other option in our case basically using the same principle:
Make a simple fixture where the strip can slide sideways under the milling machine head or a router. Set the strip at an angle
to get the desired diagonal cut.

Clamp the strip and make one cut and clean (sand-deburr-polish?) the slot.
Slide it over the desired spacing against an accurately repeatable stop (spring finger).
Mill the next slot.
Repeat as needed.

We really do not need an accurate distance.
We just need the same repeatable distance and then we can calibrate it in software.

Bertho Boman