CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Boss Retrofit Parameters

Fritz Koenig wrote:

>I am currently workingon retrofitting a Brigeport Boss
>Series II. When we bought it it wasn't working. The
>system wouldn't boot up and instead of trying to track
>down what exactly was wrong with the controller, we
>decided to retrofit it.
>
>We are using Gecko G210 Drivers running at 4.5 amps
>along with DeskCNC control board and software. We
>have one 50 V/ 8 amp power supply for the three
>motors.

Are you sure 4.5 A is sufficient? I'd think you may have
pretty weak torque, as that may be about half the rated
motor current.

>So far I have the stages moving and I'm looking to
>start running some tool paths. In jog mode I can move
>the stages around reasonably well and they sound
>pretty smooth. When I put some simple test toolpaths
>through though the stages get a bit noisy.
>

>What I am looking for are machine parameters. I
>realize that feedrates are going to be material
>specific. What I am more intersted in is
>acceleration/velocity profiles. Max/min speeds I
>should avoid.

With a properly set up system, there should be no minimum
speed. (The only minimum speed is when feeding too slowly,
the cutter may tend to "gum up" with melted workpiece material.
This is especially a problem with aluminum.)
Noisy operation could be incorrect damping on the Gecko drive.
Did you get the special model for your large motors? (A
Series-II machine should have at least size 42 motors, and require
a factory option applied to the drive.) A burst of short vector
moves could also cause some rattling.

>If there is somebody with a similar setup that would
>be willing to chat with me on/off this list about what
>they are running I would appreciate it.

I have a retrofitted bridgeport Series-I machine, with servos,
but much of the information is applicable to both.

Fritz Koenig 2003-09-01 23:51:58 UTC Boss Retrofit Parameters Tim Goldstein 2003-09-02 00:05:25 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Boss Retrofit Parameters Jon Elson 2003-09-02 09:53:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Boss Retrofit Parameters