CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: gecko drive power supplies??

on 2003-09-04 16:42:01 UTC
If a switcher has overvoltage shutdown, connect its output to a
10,000 uF capacitor via a rectifier diode. Pick up the supply to the
drive/s from that capacitor.

Mariss

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Madhu Annapragada"
<mapr@c...> wrote:
> It is generally not a good idea to use switching power supplies
with motion
> control systems. Energy produced during regeneration has to go
somewhere and
> it usually ends up in the output capacitors of a linear power
supply leading
> to an increase in the voltage (unless you have a regen braking
circuit built
> in which ends up dissipating the power in a resistor). Switching
power
> supplies do not handle regeneration events very well and may shut
down. That
> said it is possible to use switching power supplies for motion
control if
> you are willing to re-design the output stage of the supply. Short
answer
> use a bulk un-regulated linear supply; it is much easier on the
transistors
> driving your motors.
> Madhu

Discussion Thread

Thomas Powell 2003-09-03 23:01:07 UTC gecko drive power supplies?? Madhu Annapragada 2003-09-04 07:59:51 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] gecko drive power supplies?? Jon Elson 2003-09-04 09:54:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] gecko drive power supplies?? Mariss Freimanis 2003-09-04 16:42:01 UTC Re: gecko drive power supplies?? fortino 2003-09-04 18:03:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] gecko drive power supplies??