CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Binding Table - How do I regrind/Lap the ways ? ?

ballendo wrote:

>Mark,
>
>Jon has given some good info here. But IMO, just the tip of the
>iceberg...
>
>If you're really planning to do this yourself, I would pretty
>vigorously suggest you get a copy of the book Machine tool
>reconditioning. It's not a cheap book, at nearly a hundred bucks, but
>will be useful for many cnc related jobs.

Yup. I have it, and it has an amazing amount of detail. The real trick
in hand scraping, of course, is not the removing of metal, but knowing
WHERE to remove it from. There is a whole system of measurement
to get things flat and aligned at the same time. That book shows how to
take a systematic approach to achieving proper alignment of all the
parts with a minimum of tools.

>It's available from most metalworking supply houses, and there is an
>ad for it on page 36 of the current Home Shop Machinist magazine.
>There was also a recent? article in that magazine about scraping a
>mill vise true. Like your current problem, the vise had several
>related surfaces needing scraping. The hardest part is not "flat",
>or "straight", but getting flat AND straight AND the dovetail angles
>right. This requires a procedural approach that may not be intuitive.

The most effective way to do this is with a long straightedge, which is
a general
purpose tool, and a "master", a short length of material cut to match the
angle of the dovetail. A 2" long chunk of scrap steel can be cut on the
machine
to get close, and then scraped to fit the angle before the machine is torn
down.

>There is also a pretty good hand scraping video available on the web.
>Try a search of "hand scraping" and it will likely turn up. You'll
>know the site when you see it.

If you buy something from Michael Morgan, use a credit card, as he has
had some financial troubles, and can be VERY slow to deliver. I have not
seen the videos, I do not have his books, but have seen them, and they look
pretty good. I do know, from watching a live demo he did at the 2001 NAMES
show, that you can learn a lot from watching him work!

Mark Thompson 2003-09-10 10:19:56 UTC [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Binding Table - How do I regrind/Lap the ways ? ? Jon Elson 2003-09-12 10:42:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Binding Table - How do I regrind/Lap the ways ? ? Vince Negrete 2003-09-12 17:14:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Binding Table - How do I regrind/Lap the ways ? ? Jon Elson 2003-09-12 20:35:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Binding Table - How do I regrind/Lap the ways ? ?