CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Strange plastic material

Posted by Matt Shaver
on 2000-03-23 00:10:14 UTC
> From: "Arne Chr. Jorgensen" <instel@...>
> When I lived down at Florida Keys, I did a wild job. Arnold
Swartzenegger
> did the movie "true lies" and part of the scenes took place on the old
seven
> mile bridge.

Good story Arne! I saw the movie and remember the scenes on that bridge.

> The nuts and bolts were fake too. By some marks on the nuts, I think I
> found the original they had used as a mold. These fake items was made of a
> yellow, a bit grainy kind of plastic. It must have been in liquid form,
and
> poured into the molds. They were hard like some solid - real hard rubber,
and
> not brittle. I could penetrate it with a nail, but I could not "smash"
them
> with the hammer. I showed it to several, but no one had ever seen
anything
> like it.

My guess, from the color mainly, is urethane. Lots of automobile body parts
are cast (or molded) from urethane and are yellow underneath the paint. It's
a fairly stiff, rubbery plastic.

Matt

Discussion Thread

Matt Shaver 2000-03-23 00:10:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Strange plastic material Jon Anderson 2000-03-23 00:36:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Strange plastic material