CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Milling tutorials ?

on 2003-09-25 13:34:48 UTC
Hi:

I have no idea of what you wish to learn. Is it just the CNC
portion? setup? milling? Do you want to end up with something useful
(other than the learning experience) or stretch your capabilities?
What type of mill do you have? Do you have any other equipment that
you can use (rotary table, lathe, drill press, band saw etc)?

Back in high school we had an ornery old (at least he looked old to
me at the time) machine shop teacher who would throw hammers at
students who were about to lose body parts in his shop. He started
out his students on a vise, a set of files, and a piece of round
stock. You guessed the task. File the stock perfectly square.
Advanced students had to file their piece of stock back to a
perfectly round form. This lasted for the first five hours of
classes. Then one was allowed to move on to the powered machinery.

In the same vein I suggest that you mill a piece of aluminum stock
into a perfect cube. Use a granite plate and dial indicator to check
your work. Adjust for any errors introduced by your mill. You'll
have to sneak up on the final dimensions so that you can detect
errors such as backlash, axis miss-alignments, and non-linearities in
your leadscrews. You will also need an edge finder, machinist's
square and a vernier caliper to complete this project. The tools
mentioned here are the basics that you will need to complete any
project.

When you are finished milling the cube, mill the top 1.5" of the cube
(as it lays on the table) into an octagon (eight sided) shape. Then
mill the octagonal portion into a truncated cone, with a top diameter
of 1".

Having completed the above, try milling one of these
http://www.dakeng.com/gallery.html for extra credit.

You other option would be to make something usefull, perhaps a fitted
cabinet to hold all of your mill's accessories. These will probably
change over time – try come up with a way to handle the changes.

Tony

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "davincitiger" <davinci@s...>
wrote:
> Hi everybody.
>
> I was just wondering if anyone know of any
> other litle projects that are avalible so i can get
> into cnc milling and learning a bit more.
> I know that www.spillage.net has on called "my first job"
>
> Perhaps some free instruction on the web on small projects that only
> requiers me to get som material and som endmills.

Discussion Thread

davincitiger 2003-09-25 11:52:15 UTC Milling tutorials ? Antonius J.M. Groothuizen 2003-09-25 13:34:48 UTC Re: Milling tutorials ? alenz2002 2003-09-25 16:22:32 UTC Re: Milling tutorials ? Antonius J.M. Groothuizen 2003-09-25 17:10:18 UTC Re: Milling tutorials ? Antonius J.M. Groothuizen 2003-09-25 17:10:39 UTC Re: Milling tutorials ?