CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Plenum Cable?

Posted by D.F.S.
on 2000-03-24 13:00:20 UTC

> From: Joe Vicars <jvicars@...>
>
> I ordered this stuff called "Plenum Cable" from MSC. It is 18ga. ,
> 6 conductor, but the insulation looks mighty thin. Does anyone know
> what this stuff is for and can I use it for wiring my unipolar steppers
> at 5 amps/phase??
> Help.

A plenum is the gap between walls, suspended ceilings and the roof and
is often used as an air duct for lack of a more precise term.

Plenum rated Wire can be run thru those air ducts, unapproved wire
should not be.
It relates to flame spread and how much and how toxic the fumes from
burning wire are.

In all probability is has other markings on it as to what it is
designed for.

A first guess would be Category 5 Computer network cable, possibly
telephone network or alarm wire as well.

I may very well be twisted pair, er. make that probably.

How does twisted pair respond to the spikey power levels used in
steppers, anybody?

The stuff usually sells at a good premium, all things being equal
I doubt it will buy you anything and you could get non-plenum rated
wire cheaper.

The only difference should be the insulation.

Marc

Discussion Thread

Joe Vicars 2000-03-24 12:45:29 UTC Plenum Cable? D.F.S. 2000-03-24 13:00:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Plenum Cable?