CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Servo Operating Temperature?

Posted by mmurray701
on 2003-09-27 19:49:41 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:

> mmurray701 wrote:
>
> >I finally have my mill converted to servo control and am just
> >wondering how hot servos generally run. After being run for about
1-
> >1.5 hours the Z axis motor is slighly hot. You can still keep
your
> >hand on it no problem but it is a little hot. I didnt get a
chance
> >to run it any longer than this yet.
> >
> >They do have a sticker stating to use caution when touching them
> >because they can get hot, but i'm just wondering how hot is too
hot?

> >The setup is Electro Craft E-543 servos running off G340 drives.
The
> >gain/dampening knobs are just left at factory settings. Current
> >limit is set at about half, thats all the torque I need. Thanks
in
> >advance.
> >

> This doesn't sound too bad. These motors can generally dissipate
> a fair amount of heat. The Z axis generally has the problem of
constantly
> supporting the weight of the moving part, thus a constant current
flow
> through the motor. One way to fix this is to put a belt reduction
ratio
> on the motor, so it doesn't have to deliver as much torque as it
would
> with direct drive.
>
> Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the quick response. I am running a belt reduction of 2:1,
this should be more than enough because its just a mini mill and the
leadscrew is very mild pitch (20tpi).

I see what you mean about the Z axis putting out more heat.
Strangely enough even the Z axis stepper got hotter on my old
system. Not quite sure why a stepper would. Maybe I had the current
limit just slighly higher on that axis.

So you think i'm safe? If I can keep my hand on it then it shouldnt
be ok? Thanks.

Mark

Discussion Thread

mmurray701 2003-09-27 18:16:26 UTC Servo Operating Temperature? Jon Elson 2003-09-27 19:22:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo Operating Temperature? mmurray701 2003-09-27 19:49:41 UTC Re: Servo Operating Temperature? Jon Elson 2003-09-27 23:13:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Servo Operating Temperature? jcc3inc 2003-09-28 06:42:28 UTC Re: Servo Operating Temperature?