CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] servos, steppers, limit switches

on 2003-09-30 07:33:47 UTC
One way to zero (reset, home ) without limit switches is to run the axis at
a slow speed to a mechanical stop. The controller would determine the
mechanical stop by monitoring the encoder as you guessed. Once the encoder
stops counting, and if the encoder has an additional index (Z or reference
pulse), the controller would move back until it saw the index pulse at which
point it would stop the axis and set this as a zero or home position. I am
sure you can see the inherent disadvantage in this; one you have to run the
machine slowly so as to not damage the axis when you run against the
mechanical end of motion. Second, if you do not have a index pulse on the
encoder, the repeatability of the zero position would not be very good as
the controller might either zero on the leading edge or the falling edge of
the A channel or the B channel. A index pulse on the other hand gives one
better repeatability.
Madhu

Discussion Thread

Brian Sherwood 2003-09-30 06:22:27 UTC servos, steppers, limit switches Madhu Annapragada 2003-09-30 07:33:47 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] servos, steppers, limit switches vrsculptor 2003-09-30 07:40:07 UTC Re: servos, steppers, limit switches Brian Sherwood 2003-09-30 07:41:42 UTC Re: servos, steppers, limit switches Brian Sherwood 2003-09-30 07:43:55 UTC Re: servos, steppers, limit switches Brian Sherwood 2003-09-30 07:45:00 UTC Re: servos, steppers, limit switches Jon Elson 2003-09-30 10:30:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] servos, steppers, limit switches Jon Elson 2003-09-30 10:33:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: servos, steppers, limit switches