CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Bridgeport Conversion

Posted by ccq@x...
on 2003-10-04 11:27:02 UTC
On Fri Oct 3 11:14:34 2003 fun2b432002 wrote:

>Hi Guys! I'm new to this CNC, just retired from the military so I
>need help from you experts. I plan to buy a used Bridgeport 9x42
>knee mill and want to convert it to 3 Axis CNC. I plan on driving
>the knee as the Z Axis instead of the quill. I have located a
>company that will sell me some quality ballscrews for the XY
>(Rockford ballscrew) for around $800. I would like to build the
>controller myself to save money since most of the ones I've seen
>online run anywhere from $5000 to $14000. I have no idea what size
>or type motors to use on the XYZ. From what I've heard servo is
>better than stepper? I have no idea what kind of controller card to
>use for this application? I will design my parts on either Mastercam
>or OneCNC which both are CAD/CAM and then I'd like to run the machine
>from my PC in the shop through the controller box? (Is that right?)
>Does anyone offer a diagram/plans for the controller and possibly
>motor wiring/setup for an application like this??? I would
>appreciate any and all help that anyone can give me. Thanks and take
>care.
>
>Frank

Thanks for your service Bro.

For controllers, you might want to check out Geckos or Rutexes. On the Gecko,
you can't beat the warantee/service. with a stick, and they have both stepper
and servo versions.

On the knee vs. quil issue, some folks have elected to do both, (you'll have to
check with them on that).

Have fun playing, "Chip Blaster"; Faster than a speeding hot chip, stronger
than sweat, able to heap tall piles of swarf in a single pass.....:-)

Bill

--
RKBA! ***** Blessings On Thee, Oh Israel! ***** 4-19!

Constitutional Government is dead; LONG LIVE THE CONSTITUTION!!!!!

fun2b432002 2003-10-04 07:47:09 UTC Bridgeport Conversion ccq@x... 2003-10-04 11:27:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Bridgeport Conversion fun2b432002 2003-10-05 01:48:02 UTC Re: Bridgeport Conversion Markwayne 2003-10-05 07:47:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Bridgeport Conversion