CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] VIA Epia Motherboard for CNC?

on 2003-10-05 11:29:37 UTC
I just finished a unit using that motherboard, only the 1 ghz version. I
added 256 meg memory and running Win XP Pro. I haven't tried CNC-Pro, but
MACH2 locks it up at initialization and requires a hard reset to clear. I
tried MACH1, but not happy with the results. It seems a little erratic. The
MACH1 would self estop in the middle of a run apparantely because the
software detected the hardware was off doing something other then generate
step pulses. I think the problem is that the board has so many 'features'
that it may be impossible to shut them all off. I have tried an external
video board and shutting off everything in the BIOS that I could find, but
still no success. (Many hours spent and I consider myself computer hardware
knowledgeable) I set the board aside in hopes that someone else would try it
and describe the solution.
My personal opinion; that it may not be suitable for CNC work. I hope
someone will tell me I am wrong.

Dennis Cranston
Houston Texas

-----Original Message-----
From: John Mesh [mailto:jmesh@...]
Sent: Sunday, October 05, 2003 1:53 AM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] VIA Epia Motherboard for CNC?

Has anyone used the VIA EPIA mini ITX Motherboard for CNC?
It has integrated ethernet. VIA doesn't list DOS drivers so I
E-mailed them but they never got back with me.
I'm thinking of getting the 800 Mhz model to run CNC-Pro for 2 small
lathes.

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

timg@...
Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... [Moderators]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
you have trouble.

NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING THEM.
bill
List Mom
List Owner