CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linear Actuator question

Posted by Harvey White
on 2003-10-06 09:09:30 UTC
On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 21:50:41 -0500, you wrote:

>Well, I went to my favorite flea market this weekend, and got a few more
>stepper driver boards. :-) Yes, Harvey, phase 2 of my project is starting!
>
>But, I also picked up a linear actuator -- or at least that's what I
>assume it is. Believe me...for the price I paid, I can afford to take
>chances.

If it is a linear actuator, then it's a stepper with some very odd
coils. If it is a solenoid, then it's going to be either all on or
all off. Some resistance measurements would be nice to have, but the
number of wires is confusing for a stepper. (there are such things,
run about 20 to 40 dollars surplus...)

>Basically it's a gigantic solenoid, with about a 2 inch travel, a rubber
>boot over the moving parts, 3 wires (black, white, red), and the
>following on a label:
>
>Trombetta +-
>Electromagnetics
>3921978
>12VDC 0139
>
>This thing is huge...it's a cylinder probbly 4 inches long, with a
>movable end that sticks up another 4 inches. The shaft diameter is
>probably 3/4"! It's a big one, and I assume it's pretty beefy, too.
>
>Anyway, the first thing I did was to go to the Trombetta web site
>http://www.trombetta.com , and tried to find information. None of their
>product numbers match anything on this unit. Anyone know anything about
>them? I'll email the company too, but with the wealth of information on
>this list...can't hurt to ask here!
>
>My first thought on seeing it, was a 2-1/2D router. Implementing
>something with a router, akin to pen up and pen down on a plotter...just
>for cutting simple shapes.
>
>Any ideas?

none too much, I'd kinda like to know what it is, but it's not likely
that I would find stuff like that around here..

Could be an actuator for a sat dish, one of the old C band ones... the
ones that were about 10 feet in diameter... That set the elevation
angle.

Harvey

> -- Chuck Knight

Discussion Thread

Chuck Knight 2003-10-05 19:52:24 UTC Linear Actuator question Antonius J.M. Groothuizen 2003-10-05 20:55:21 UTC Re: Linear Actuator question Chuck Knight 2003-10-05 21:39:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Linear Actuator question Harvey White 2003-10-06 09:09:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linear Actuator question