CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Linear Actuator question

on 2003-10-05 20:55:21 UTC
Chuck

It doesn't appear that linear actuators are part of their product
line. I'd assume that it's a solenoid.

If I'm correct you'd have to make some provision for locking the
router in both the up and down position as looking at their website,
many of their products have less than a 100% duty cycle. You'd also
not be able to control the plunge rate, and would have to take care
to accurately position your bits within the chuck.

Alternatevly, you may be able to implement a system to ratchet the
router up or down using the solinoid.

They do produce some pretty powerfull devices though. Some capable of
exerting forces in excess of 100 lb.

Tony

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Knight
<chuckknight@h...> wrote:
> Well, I went to my favorite flea market this weekend, and got a few
more
> stepper driver boards. :-) Yes, Harvey, phase 2 of my project is
starting!

> But, I also picked up a linear actuator -- or at least that's what
> assume it is. Believe me...for the price I paid, I can afford to
take
> chances.
>
> Basically it's a gigantic solenoid, with about a 2 inch travel, a
rubber
> boot over the moving parts, 3 wires (black, white, red), and the
> following on a label:
>
> Trombetta +-
> Electromagnetics
> 3921978
> 12VDC 0139
>
> This thing is huge...it's a cylinder probbly 4 inches long, with a
> movable end that sticks up another 4 inches. The shaft diameter is
> probably 3/4"! It's a big one, and I assume it's pretty beefy, too.
>
> Anyway, the first thing I did was to go to the Trombetta web site
> http://www.trombetta.com , and tried to find information. None of
their
> product numbers match anything on this unit. Anyone know anything
about
> them? I'll email the company too, but with the wealth of
information on
> this list...can't hurt to ask here!
>
> My first thought on seeing it, was a 2-1/2D router. Implementing
> something with a router, akin to pen up and pen down on a
plotter...just
> for cutting simple shapes.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> -- Chuck Knight

Discussion Thread

Chuck Knight 2003-10-05 19:52:24 UTC Linear Actuator question Antonius J.M. Groothuizen 2003-10-05 20:55:21 UTC Re: Linear Actuator question Chuck Knight 2003-10-05 21:39:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Linear Actuator question Harvey White 2003-10-06 09:09:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linear Actuator question