CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Steppers on a manual mill

Posted by Lee Studley
on 2003-10-06 19:18:23 UTC
Hi,
I found that with moderate handwheel speed, my steppers generated
enough voltage to start the freewheeling diodes of the mosfets to
conduct and cause a stuttering in the action( at least that's what I
think was happening). I'd ask or email Mariss on this one.
-Lee

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "jimalb2309" <jimalb@s...>
wrote:
> I am converting a manual mill with steppers geared 2:1 to the lead
> screws and am keeping the manual capabilities also for now.
> My question is do i need to disconnect the steppers from the lead
> screws when in manual mode or maybe disconnect from drivers?
> Wondering about steppers generating a voltage when moving manually
> especially when using the power drives on the X and Y axis.
> The power drives will move the table at 45 inches a minute in rapid
> and the steppers are geared 2:1 to the screws so the stepper
> motors will be turning twice as fast as the lead screws.
> Can they generate a voltage that will hurt the gecko 201 drives?
> Will it hurt the Bi-poller steppers to turn then like this?
> Thanks for any advice!

Discussion Thread

jimalb2309 2003-10-06 19:12:48 UTC Steppers on a manual mill Lee Studley 2003-10-06 19:18:23 UTC Re: Steppers on a manual mill