CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: retrofitting an older CNC (shizuoka AN-S)

on 2003-10-06 20:24:19 UTC
Peter

I'd try ringing out the cabling (just use an ohmmeter to check for
continuity while moving the wires) first. Then I'd check PC boards
and connectors for cold solder joints (dull appearance, solder hasn't
flowed over both the component's lead or the trace, can also
be 'balled up'). These are simple checks and I've found a lot of
intermittent faults were caused by these types of problems.

After you're satisfied with these checks, swap out components with
another axis one at a time (if you can). You want to move the fault
with this procedure. So first try the driver (it's probably the
easiest), then the servo and encoder (move the drivers back first).
Note that you can only do this if the parts are the same. Check for
configuration components such as the resistors used in the Gecko
201's (I know these are stepper drives, but you get the idea). Don't
be afraid to change the order of drives / servos. Take the easy way.

Good Luck

Tony

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, no falloff <nofalloff@y...>
wrote:

> Thanks for all the input. it's been very helpful. I am far less
confused than I was a few days ago. I know what my options are at
least. I think the most cost effective, and ultimately the most
powerful/versatile, will be to try to get the existing controller
fully online. I had the day to play around with it, and have learned
a few things. First I am slowly learning the controller. The manual
is a bit arcane, and as my experience with CNC is limited at best,
deciphering what are instructions for someone versed with CNC and
production machining is a bit of a challenge.

> So far all that I can find wrong with this machine is
that the Z axis is faulting. It is getting nowhere near the limit
switches, and the longer the machine is on the shorter the Z needs to
move before it faults. If the machine is cold I can get it to home,
override the z axis and run the machine through any of the 25 or so
programs still in the memory of the controller. The specific error I
am getting once the machine is warmed up is:

> Emergency stop.
>
> Z servo error
>
> Loss of feedback or no motion on Z axis.
>

> There is motion so it must be in the feedback
>
> Does this sound like a bad tach or encoder? Could it be in the
drive?

> I'm going to call baldor (the maker of the drives and the servos)
and see what they can tell me.

> doug98105 mentioned that factory (I assume Dynapath) still offered
tech support. If you can post a phone # or url please.

> I'm hopeful that if I can resolve this Z axis fault that this is
most of what I'm up against as I so far haven't found anything else.
Except maybe a little too much noise in the Z ball screw.