CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Educational CNC machines

Posted by james owens
on 2000-03-29 07:08:03 UTC
You are indeed correct these machines are manufactured in this country, England. They were at one time in every Tech and school machine shop. That is many thousands of machines. I have a great deal of experience with the pre CNC versions.
With the demise of the educational foundations of this country and the shrinking of our engineering base. The loss of 9 out of every 10 jobs in the industry over the last twenty years. A huge amount of hand cranked and power feed gear boxed lathes appeared on the second hand market. We have now reached a point were the supply is beginning to dry up and the prices are starting to rise.

Most manufacturers are quite helpful if you know what buttons to press if you need help, shout!

Go for the boxford, it is a very stable tough lathe and is considered full size over here.

Regards,

Terry.

----- Original Message -----
From: Harrison, Doug
To: 'CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com'
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2000 2:01 PM
Subject: RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Educational CNC machines

From: "Harrison, Doug" <dharrison@...>

Boxford has a good reputation within the tech schools. We looked at them
but went with full size equipment instead - Boxford is incredibly expensive.
I recall that they are made in England. The mill we looked at had a weird
tool holder taper. Other than that, I liked their machines. Might even
have some brochures laying around somewhere. I'll look.

Doug Harrison