CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Ametek DC motor info?

Posted by Kim Lux
on 2003-10-15 06:51:30 UTC
I am using Ameteck motors on both a lathe and a mill. They work fine.
The only issue is their KV and use with 40V supplies. I calculate to
their Kv to be 44.4 Volts/1000 RPM and suspect Kt is about 50 oz in
/amp.

With a 40V supply, direct drive 5 TPI ballscrews, Gecko 320s, spring
loaded ball nuts (400lbs of preload) we get 120 to 150 IPM rapids,
depending upon the load. 900 RPM x 5 TPI = 180 IPM, but you won't get
900 RPM out of these motors if there is much current draw because Kv is
so high.

The solution to this is to run a higher voltage supply, probably 80
Volts. 80V/44.4 x 5TPI = 360 IPM theoretically. One could probably get
a reliable 280-300 IPM from this setup. BTW, this would need a pulse
train of about 50KHz @ 0.0001"/step resolution. We'll test 80V supplies
in the near future.

The motors run dead cold most of the time. We've got them fused with 5A
fast blow fuses, which we rarely blow. (only when we hit something...)
They generate tons of torque and tons of cutting power. One can easily
crush cutting inserts and flex work pieces and machine parts.

The only time a motor has ever run even warm was yesterday when I was
pushing a dull 7/8" bit 4" deep into a hard steel ie 4140ish. Then it
ran warm, not hot by any means. Usually they are dead cold to the
touch.

I suspect the Amateks have a continuous torque rating of about 180 oz
in.

I don't think you can go wrong with Amateck motors. Having said that, I
am just in the process of considering other motors for our next
conversion. I want to get our rapid speeds higher.

Kim