CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Bridgeport Series 1 cnc servo conversion

Paul Harrington wrote:

>I am planning to replace the stepper motors on my Bridgeport Series
>1 cnc with SEM Servo motors which are rated at 19 lb/in. I have a
>couple of questions:
>Are these motors suitable to use the current 1:1 belt drive which
>the steppers use?

The motors are REALLY strong, so thay could handle it. But, you might
need a massively powerful servo driver for that setup. Changing to a 2:1
reduction will allow the servo amp to get twice the torque per amp.
If you are using Gecko drives, that is probably all you should gear it
down, as the SEM motors are wound for a higher voltage than the
Geckos can handle.

>What drive ratio do the later Series 1 Interacts equipped with
>servos use?

I've never had the covers off the Ez-Trak machines at work, but judging
from the shape of the covers, I strongly suspect the ratio is about 4:1.
This would probably be the best match for these motors, too.

Paul Harrington 2003-10-16 08:40:04 UTC Bridgeport Series 1 cnc servo conversion Mariss Freimanis 2003-10-16 10:20:20 UTC Re: Bridgeport Series 1 cnc servo conversion Larry Van Duyn 2003-10-16 10:24:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Bridgeport Series 1 cnc servo conversion Jon Elson 2003-10-16 22:02:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Bridgeport Series 1 cnc servo conversion Paul Harrington 2003-10-19 03:38:41 UTC Re: Bridgeport Series 1 cnc servo conversion