CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Clamping stock for milling...?

Posted by Charles Hixon
on 2003-10-20 14:25:58 UTC
My favorite method to minimize M0 and M1's is a milling vise.
Depending on your part, you might want to CNC some custom shape jaws
to orientate the part correctly in the vise (CNC a negative contour
of your workpiece). Another method that provides minimum M0 or M1
interruptions is use of the dead center. This also helps to
position the odd shaped part. But that also requires a previous
center drill operation and the use of more substantial clamps
elsewhere on the part. Charles Hixon

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Kichman"
<billkichman@c...> wrote:
> I haven't seen discussion of this topic recently, but am ready to
make a
> first part on a cnc mill conversion....how do you typically handle
clamping
> of different parts on a mill and avoid hitting the clamps? And
even better,
> how to mill a part without having it "fall out" from the stock or
get loose
> when the part is nearly finshed. For record, I plan to use
VisualMill or
> similar for the more complex designs...do you mill only a Region
of stock at
> a specific time, which avoids preplanned clamp locations? Then
move the
> clamp and hit "go" on the controller at the "change clamp pause"?
>
> Also I would appreciate reading descriptions of the different
clamping and
> hold-down methods currently in acceptance.
> Anything beyond t-nut simple clamps would be especially
helpful....what goes
> into the thought process when deciding how to clamp down a part
for a 3-axis
> setup, I guess is what I am asking....
>
> Thanks again to this fine group for all your help...
>

> R. William Kichman, P.E.
> Kichman Engineering Associates
> 103 Old Furnace Road
> Cornwall, PA 17016-0643
> tel/fax 717/270-0714

Discussion Thread

Bill Kichman 2003-10-20 08:17:29 UTC Clamping stock for milling...? Tim Goldstein 2003-10-20 09:16:27 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] OFF TOPIC: Clamping stock for milling...? Charles Hixon 2003-10-20 14:25:58 UTC Re: Clamping stock for milling...?