CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: 2nd try Where do you set up your controller box?

Posted by ballendo
on 2003-10-22 18:30:36 UTC
Roger,

Thank you for the reply. This type of "not just what, but why" answer
is very useful...

Ballendo

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "vrsculptor"
<vrsculptor@h...> wrote:
> Ballendo,
> My refitted CNC mill has original control on the right on a short
arm
> mounted on the side of the head. My original refit was to install a
> new VGA in this panel and mount the computer in the control box on
> the right side of the head. My mill is a tad over 7 feet tall. It
> sucked. I wear bifocals (old man) and was getting a crick in the
neck
> from looking up to see the DRO's. Also didn't like reaching over
the
> table to punch buttons. Big pieces of iron moving with a mind of
> there own under my belly button is not my idea of fun. Also was
using
> a keyboard which is another problem which I guess could be solved
now
> with pendent, emulators and swiches. The PC was also not real happy
> in the hoffman box. Difficulty with heat, cables, floppies, CD's...
> you name it.
>
> Solution was a Harbor freight cart with office depot keyboard
drawer
> and $295 15" LCD. I bolted full size PC to end of cart. Now
> everything is ergonomic and works great. I can now reach the
drives,
> open the PCand roll the control around to fit job/shop
circumstances.
> Cable length is no problem. I also have a work surface, middle
shelf
> and botttom tray to store junk and stage tooling on.
>
> I looked into small PC's. What I found was slot limits and port
> limits and high cost. On a cart PC size doesn't matter.
>
> Roger S.

Discussion Thread

ballendo 2003-10-22 02:34:02 UTC 2nd try Where do you set up your controller box? vrsculptor 2003-10-22 07:24:35 UTC Re: 2nd try Where do you set up your controller box? ballendo 2003-10-22 18:30:36 UTC Re: 2nd try Where do you set up your controller box?