CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Orac CNC lathe

djamer88 wrote:

>Hello I am new to the group and need some help with a spindle control
>question, my lathe has spindel control on the control panel and also
>in the g-code but the control will not opeate correctly (no speed
>control) is it possible to purchase an after market VFD and get it to
>work with the lathe control's.
> The lathe is wired for 220V single phase and has a 3phase spindle
>motor in some manner the spindle VFD converts to 3 phase for the
>motor, or is there a way to operate the motor with a varable speed
>control.

Yes, almost all 240V VFDs built after 1990 or so will run on 220 V
single phase. Most over one HP require some derating for this mode, but
many fractional HP drives can deliver full rated power on single phase.
Check the manufacturer's info to be sure. Many of these VFDs can accept
0-10 V DC as a 0-100% speed command. You will have to figure out
what signals your CNC control provides for the spindle speed commands.

You might want to make sure the speed command is being produced by the
CNC control before you replace the spindle VFD.

Jon Elson 2003-10-25 23:28:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Orac CNC lathe