CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 4th and/or 5th axis head

Posted by Les Watts
on 2000-03-31 08:18:02 UTC
Doug Fortune wrote:

> In any case, has anyone experimented with a 4th
> or 4th&5th axis attachment on the Z axis?
>
> If not, I'll bet there are a bunch of "ideas on paper"
> for such beasts. Also, can it be accomplished by
> any other way than a turn & swivel arrangement
> (like the belly turret machine gun mount on a B17?).
>
> Also, the software to drive it is a bit expensive,
> but when there is a will there is a way!
>
> Doug Fortune

Doug,

I don't have the firmware for 4 or 5 axis now but I did put in a system where
I can rotate the spindle 45 and 90 degrees each way. It locks in position
with a spring loaded tapered pin in carefully placed index holes.

I figure it would badly compromise the utility of my machine not to be able
to get to the sides of a work piece since I need to do lots of dovetails
and mortice/tenon work. So I will be able to stop program execution,
do a twist and click of the spindle, and resart.

It's not as good as a full axis but it will be quick and do the job. Convertible
later.

The turn and swivel seems to be the best construction for 5 axis short of
a hexapod. But I would loose half my z travel if I used it. Any other ideas?
--
Leslie M.Watts
Illinois Tool Works

Discussion Thread

Les Watts 2000-03-31 08:18:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 4th and/or 5th axis head Jon Elson 2000-03-31 11:52:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 4th and/or 5th axis head