CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 4th and/or 5th axis head

Doug Fortune wrote:

> The March 2000 issue of "Modern Machine Shop" has
> an article on a 4th & 5th axis rotary head retrofit for
> existing mills from Tri-Tech Precision Products.
>
> However at 150 lbs and $50K it is probably too big for
> our machines in the basements & garages!
>
> In any case, has anyone experimented with a 4th
> or 4th&5th axis attachment on the Z axis?
>
> If not, I'll bet there are a bunch of "ideas on paper"
> for such beasts. Also, can it be accomplished by
> any other way than a turn & swivel arrangement
> (like the belly turret machine gun mount on a B17?).

Sure! You mount a big rotary table sideways on the table, and
attach a smaller rotary table to an angle bracket on the big
one. This allows you to do 5 axis work on moderate sized
pieces.

Les Watts 2000-03-31 08:18:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 4th and/or 5th axis head Jon Elson 2000-03-31 11:52:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 4th and/or 5th axis head