CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re parametrics, and a shopbot patent attempt

on 2003-11-04 07:14:00 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "ballendo" <ballendo@y...>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Since I just posted about shopbot...
>
> You may be interested to know that shopbot is in the midst of
> patenting (or trying to) the idea of widely available parametric
part
> programs for making specific things. For example, you/they design a
> bookcase; and then the plans are sold as parametric CNC files so
> people can easily build your design in many sizes; possibly with
> optional features as well.
>
> It's a great idea, but is it patentable? I believe that if they are
> successful in patenting this, it will be a bad thing for the world
of
> hobby CNC.
>
> If "prior art" (a USPTO term meaning someone already thought of it,
> AND let others know about it-that second part is VERY important)
can
> be found, and brought to the attention of the patent examiner, this
> patent will not be granted...
>
> So, In the future do you want to only be able to get CNC project
> plans from shopbot, or its licensees????
>
> For example, the sherline tool changer that Joe V is marketing,
could
> very likely require shopbots approval, if joe includes gcode...
>
> It's more possible than you think,
>
> Ballendo
>
> P.S. To make it sound like a good idea to their users, they are
> promoting the idea that they will sell the designs they all come up
> with (meaning their customers). But if there is a patent, then any
of
> us cannot do the same in any other market, without shopbots express-

> and likely paid for:-( permission...

I hope the moderators allow a little of this as it so strongly
applies to our area. or at least give us some latittude to
establish a place we can talk about this. (jobshophomeshop ?)

but doens't the simplicity of someone on here asking for the g-code
of a db25 and then getting it do the same thing ?

as I understand your post, this would preclude me from making parts
for my PCB machine, then selling them in g-code form as part of a
kit ? or as the kit ?

or my creating parts, then sending the g-code to have the jobshop do
the plasma cutting of 0.08 aluminum parts ?

and, how do you 'advise' the patent office of prior art ?

Since I do see this as a topic that will bring a lot of discussion,
can you suggest a place to talk about this ?

Dave

Discussion Thread

ballendo 2003-11-04 04:34:01 UTC Re parametrics, and a shopbot patent attempt turbulatordude 2003-11-04 07:14:00 UTC Re: Re parametrics, and a shopbot patent attempt