CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Router life, getting better bearings,

on 2003-11-04 06:55:43 UTC
Hi again.

Krytox and better bearings still strike me as an expensive option.
Are you seeing two to three times the normal life of the OEM bearings
with this arraingement?

Its not like I haven't seen krytox used in industrial applications, but
even there it won't work magic. I suppose it comes down to wether or
not the bearings are being operated beyond their design limits. If the
bearings aren't being overloaded I could see where better lubrication
would help, as high speed bearing operation and grease generally lead to
short lifetimes.

On all of the bearings that we use to use in our plant that had krytox
in them such bearings where speciall order. In a few case we resorted
to lubricating the bearings ourselves with krytox. While the stuff
helps when the application of the bearing is correct in the first place;
if the bearing is marginal to begin with, that is the wrong bearing
installed for the application, krytox helps very little.

Thanks
Dave

ballendo wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Just passing on years of real world shop experience...
>
>Bottom line IME: It's worth it to upgrade the bearings of porter
>cable 3-1/4 hp routers... Also worth it to upgrade bearings in
>handheld and table mounted wood routers, if they're being used daily
>in production.
>
>As I mentioned, many bearing mfrs already use krytox... As to whether
>it's worth the time and trouble, did you check out the link I posted?
>Pretend those screws he shows (during testing of lubricants for his
>stainless steel couplings) are leadscrews, and ask yourself if its
>worth the time and trouble...
>
>As to the other parts of the router wearing out, you'll find that the
>better bearings help here too. Less commutator bounce from truer
>running, for one...
>
>Long before I got into CNC, I replaced the bearings in a Hitachi TR12
>router on some advice in Fine Woodworking magazine... Been a convert
>ever since.
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>Ballendo
>
>P.S. Keep in mind that only 5 years ago, people laughed at anyone who
>would make their own CNC machine, saying "How good could it possibly
>be!" We live in a time when things which useta be "snake oil" ARE
>REALLY possible. Still a lot of snake oil though, so it's still hard
>to find the real stuff. Krytox and better grade bearings are not
>snake oil, IMO, and IME.
>
>--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "David A. Frantz"
><wizard@e...> wrote:
>

>>Hi Ballendo;
>>
>>Krytox is a very interesting material and certianly has its uses
>>

>but I do
>

>>wonder if it is worth the expense and trouble.
>>
>>At this point I will have to take your word concerning the better
>>classes of bearings. I do have to wonder how much longer they
>>

>would
>

>>run at high speed to justify the cost. It becomes hard to justify
>>investing money into a router equal to half its cost much less the
>>

>its
>

>>full cost. One must not forget that routers also wear else
>>

>where,
>

>>such as the armature, so your investing heavely in bearings for a
>>

>unit
>

>>that is already degrading.
>>
>>Thanks
>>Dave
>>

>>ballendo wrote:
>>

>>>Dave,
>>>
>>>Nice post!
>>>
>>>A lot of good points. But I think it IS okay to believe that you
>>>

>will
>

>>>get better results by upgrading the PC (or any other "common"
>>>

>router)
>

>>>bearings. Most routers use "motor grade" bearings; certainly not
>>>grade 5,7, or better! These better bearings can easily cost as
>>>

>much
>

>>>as the router. But they DO last longer, run cooler/better, and are
> [...]

Discussion Thread

thorcnc 2003-11-01 07:48:33 UTC Router life, getting better bearings, David A. Frantz 2003-11-01 08:53:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Router life, getting better bearings, Robert Campbell 2003-11-01 11:53:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Router life, getting better bearings, thorcnc 2003-11-01 15:53:51 UTC Re: Router life, getting better bearings, wanliker@a... 2003-11-01 16:31:59 UTC Re: Router life, getting better bearings, David A. Frantz 2003-11-02 10:57:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Router life, getting better bearings, ballendo 2003-11-02 13:47:10 UTC Re: Router life, getting better bearings, Bob Muse 2003-11-02 16:22:48 UTC [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Router life, getting better bearings, thorcnc 2003-11-02 19:58:43 UTC Re: Router life, getting better bearings, ballendo 2003-11-03 04:38:29 UTC Re: Router life, getting better bearings, Vince Negrete 2003-11-03 07:20:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Router life, getting better bearings, David A. Frantz 2003-11-03 11:11:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Router life, getting better bearings, carlcnc 2003-11-03 12:09:14 UTC Re: Router life, getting better bearings, ballendo 2003-11-04 03:22:15 UTC Krytox flourine a problem? ballendo 2003-11-04 03:42:21 UTC Re: Router life, getting better bearings, ballendo 2003-11-04 03:46:09 UTC Re: Router life, getting better bearings, David A. Frantz 2003-11-04 06:55:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Router life, getting better bearings, Tim Goldstein 2003-11-04 08:09:50 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Declared OT: Re: Router life, getting better bearings, ballendo 2003-11-04 16:16:18 UTC Re: Router life, getting better bearings, jmorrphd2 2003-11-04 23:59:12 UTC Re: Krytox flourine a problem?