CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNCing a big surface grinder ?

on 2003-11-07 23:05:25 UTC
Hi All:
On a surface grinder, there's not a lot of value in adding a servo to
the longitudinal axis, unless the machine is rigid enough to handle creep
feed grinding.
A long stroke hydraulic cylinder is all that's needed on the X axis, since
the grinding stroke has to overtravel the ends of the work anyway.
It's a simple and robust system with few moving parts, which is why it's so
widely used in this application.
The Y axis and the Z axis can profitably be controlled with steppers or
servos, but again, there's not a lot of value in creating super motion
control.
About the only things you'll do with it are surfacing...Y axis incremental
stepping with occasional Z axis moves, plunge grinding which is Z axis
only, or side wheeling which is usually Y axis only.
My experience with surface grinding (injection molds mostly) is that CNC
would be of no use to me whatsoever.
Most of my complex tasks involve wheel dressing, or sine plate setups or
both.
The principal value of a surface grinder is in the creation of precision
surfaces and angular relationships with good repeatability.
The other big advantage is the ability to process hardened materials.
If you have this kind of need in a production setting, there may be value in
the CNC modification for you.
If you're doing toolroom type work, it's not likely.
Cheers

Marcus