CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Knee Mill Z-Axis CNC Conversion Alternatives...

Posted by j_t_wright
on 2003-11-10 21:05:57 UTC
William,

350 miles, even that is not so cheap :-)

Table action is good on this one, but needs some work
in a number of areas (all manageable, I believe).
There is a pretty good discussion (Q&A) on this
particular machine on the Clausing group.

Jim

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "William Schmiedlin"
<wschmiedlin@m...> wrote:
> You must be closer to it than I am, cause I can't afford the
shipping!!!

> I have used one of these machines, Nice. But the one I was using
had some
> issues with the table binding...We had to tighten up the gibs to
take up a
> lot of play, but that made it not so friendly when it came to
cranking!

> William Schmiedlin

Alternatives...

> Folks,
>
> Newbie question: I am looking at an old Clausing Atlas mill and
would
> like to be able to convert it to CNC down the road.
>
> There appear to be two likely ways to convert the Z-axis:
>
> 1. drive the existing fine feed, or
> 2. drive the existing manual knee feed.
>
> Either would mean living with whatever backlash is present (or
> tweakable) in the existing mechanisms. Actually converting either
of
> these mechanisms to ball screws would appear to require a non-
obvious
> approach.
>
> Am I missing something? What do folks actually do to CNC the Z-axis
> on knee mills?
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> Jim
>
> "Gnats *gotta* stand on the shoulders of bigger critters!"

> timg@k...
> Moderator: pentam@c... indigo_red@q... [Moderators]
>
> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
reach it if
> you have trouble.

be a
> sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
there, for OT
> subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
>
> NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
THEM.
> DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
> bill
> List Mom
> List Owner
>

> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Discussion Thread

j_t_wright 2003-11-09 15:08:40 UTC Knee Mill Z-Axis CNC Conversion Alternatives... Kim Lux 2003-11-10 07:16:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Knee Mill Z-Axis CNC Conversion Alternatives... William Schmiedlin 2003-11-10 15:57:38 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Knee Mill Z-Axis CNC Conversion Alternatives... j_t_wright 2003-11-10 16:00:12 UTC Re: Knee Mill Z-Axis CNC Conversion Alternatives... j_t_wright 2003-11-10 21:05:57 UTC Re: Knee Mill Z-Axis CNC Conversion Alternatives...