CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] wish list, case histories

Posted by james owens
on 2000-04-04 05:14:02 UTC
I am starting with a bare Bridgeport type machine. I say type of machine because it is an old warn-out Beaver which has power feed on the X axis and the quill at one speed only and movement in many other planes.

Looking at the front of the machine. The head moves in and out and side to side. It also knods side to side and back and forward. The quill has about 8" of travel. Then there is the table that has X and Y and also the knee moves up and down.

Give or take the odd inch it is the same size as a tool room Bridgeport.

The idea was to convert to full CNC as knowledge and hardware became available and use a modular approach so that little is wasted and others could follow the idea and stop when they had a level of hardware that they wanted.

To the PIC based DRO which is the first step.

I see it based around USDigital's encoders because they are cheap and the company gives great service. Linear strips for the main axis at 360 lines per inch 1440 in quadrature and rotary input at 2000 lines per rev 8000 in quadrature which equates to the 2" disk.

The next step would be to feed the output of the HEDS**** into a counter which could be LS7266R1 or LS7166, both of these devices are from USDigital and are up-down counters.

Data at this stage could be made available out of the unit for direct input to a computer with a PIC across the bus doing the maths and feeding a LED display driver or a much cheaper LCD display that can be driven straight from the PIC. I would use a 16F877 if only because that is what I have and haven't learned how to use it yet. It would be nice if it was possible to use either LCD or LED.

It should be possible to include all of the suggestions that have been made on this list if one PIC controls each axis and is mounted in its own box with its display and output strip to a computer. A power supply could make up the base with each module plugging into it producing a stack.

There is no need for the PIC to do any of the maths for the computer output as this machine can do floating point maths much more quickly and easily.

I can do all the hardware and the artwork for the curcuit boards. I already have all of the components I have writen about. What is stopping me is the amount of time I spend at the computer and lack of knowledge about the electronics.

Regards,

Terry.