CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Joining Ball screws

Posted by Steve
on 2003-11-17 22:17:19 UTC
From: "robertokx" <robert.okx@...>
> Someone suggested to me that you can have the screws cut and joined
> together.
>
> Although probably not desirable, is this actually possible?

It is possible. We build a lot of semi custom and prototype machinery at
work and do that from time to time. (only once so far with a ball screw,
mostly it's feed screws and rotating cams, with an acme thrown in once in a
great while) If it's not an off the shelf item you some times can save time
doing it that way and get a machine up and running. I don't think it ever
saves money in a business setting and is never as strong, on location,
smooth or long lasting as a new screw / cam.

Basicly you tap a hole DEAD CENTER of both ends, leaving the out side
thread just short of lining up with a stud in the newly tapped holes (need
to be careful where you start the new inside threads). Both ends need to be
ground sqr and you just keep taking off .0001-.0002 until things line up. A
little locktight, double checking wuth an indicater as you do the final set
and you are good to go.

Discussion Thread

robertokx 2003-11-17 19:24:45 UTC Joining Ball screws JanRwl@A... 2003-11-17 21:06:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Joining Ball screws Steve 2003-11-17 22:17:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Joining Ball screws Torsten 2003-11-18 00:09:44 UTC Re: Joining Ball screws