CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Joining Ball screws

Posted by Torsten
on 2003-11-18 00:09:44 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "robertokx" <robert.okx@s...>
wrote:
> I have a number of Star Ball screws with a shaft diameter of around
1
> inch which I pulled off a machine in a salvage yard.
> Very similar to this ball screw on ebay:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
> ViewItem&item=2563414108&category=1267
>
> Unfortunately their shaft lengths are too short for my purpose.
>
> Someone suggested to me that you can have the screws cut and joined
> together.
>
> Although probably not desirable, is this actually possible?
>
> Thanks
> Robert

Yes if its just the shaft lenght that is short you can simply
shrink fit a extension onto it.
If done properly the strength of this is better then a welded shaft.
Unless you are talking about extending in the usable
threaded area, this is more tricky and not really economicly viable.
Possible but even when done properly not as good a new screw.
Good Luck

Discussion Thread

robertokx 2003-11-17 19:24:45 UTC Joining Ball screws JanRwl@A... 2003-11-17 21:06:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Joining Ball screws Steve 2003-11-17 22:17:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Joining Ball screws Torsten 2003-11-18 00:09:44 UTC Re: Joining Ball screws